Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Busy, busy bee

Hi folks!

I am still working on my fit quest but have been swamped with end of session grading etc. I am still going to yoga 3-4x/week and added both swimming & water aerobics to the mix so I am exercising 6-days a week!!

Watch this blog as it transfers over the next few weeks to be my Euro-trip blog! That's right the Fit-by-40 will be (hopefully) posting daily blogs from three European capitols: London, The Hague, and Paris.

My itinerary is as follows:
  • June 21-26 London.
  • June 27 - Eurostar train (via Brussels) to The Hague where I'll stay until July 1st.
  • July 1st - train to Paris where I'll remain until my flight back to TX on July 6th!

I am going to London & The Hague to do research for my dissertation at the Royal Geographical Society, the British Library, and the Dutch National Archives. In Paris I am attending a workshop on the 19th century cartography of Africa (a portion of my dissertation covers 19th C Nile River exploration) put on by the International Cartography Association's Commission on the History of Cartography (say that 3 times fast).

I am beyond excited about my trip and have been lining up things I need from the Archives, people I need to meet, and places I must see. I am hoping to get to some of the famous museums in London after my day's work and may take a touristy double-decker bus tour to see the city in its entirety on Sat. or Sun.

One thing I want to do in the UK is go to Stonehenge. We never went when we lived in England and I really want to go. So we'll see.

But before I can get to London I have to pack and prepare for a weekend trip to San Antonio for an all-class High School Reunion for my Aviano Saints! Woo hoo!

1 comment:

  1. You have a very busy schedule ahead! I know it will be difficult to keep exercising while traveling, so don't beat yourself up about it. You'll be back into your routine as soon as you return back to Texas. Enjoy your vacation and while I know it's a 'research' European tour, find a little time to have some fun as well.

    ReplyDelete