Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Because I need the challenge/incentive.

Hi this will be short-ish as I am supposed to be reading/studying, but I haven't blogged in a bit & I wanted to tell y'all some stuff.

So, you know how when you are SUPPOSED to be doing something, like, say, getting fit by the time you turn 40, but you haven't really made any great strides towards that thing you are supposed to be doing, and then the Universe starts handing you "free-passes" to get going?? You know what I am talking about, right? (just smile & nod)

Well I have, just in the last few days, been invited to join in to three (yes 3) different jump-starts/slim-down thingies... So, I said, "OK, Universe, I HEAR YOU!" and accepted all 3 challenges! So here they are:

  1. UTA's Staff Advisory Council's Summertime Slimdown challenge - teams of 5 compete to see whose can lose the most (as a team) in a healthy way over a 14-week period. There are weekly weigh-ins and prizes for the team with the most pounds lost and one for the highest percentage of weight lost at the end of the challenge. Prizes include gift certificates to a local spa! Talk about motivation!! I am one-fifth of the Fit & Fabulous Divas! Weigh-in #1 is Monday.
  2. In conjunction with that is the Biggest Loser sponsored "Pound for Pound Challenge." For every 1 pound a person pledges to lose an 11-cent donation will be made to a local food bank. I pledged 25lbs. I figure 2lb per week for 14 weeks (see #1) would be a good goal. So I can do good for me AND do good for the community. Click on the badge to the left for more info. And finally...
  3. At the same time as numbers 1 & 2 is the 21 Day Activity Challenge through a friend on Facebook (if you want an invite let me know this week & I will send you one). Beginning Feb 1st. The challenge is to commit to doing some kind of activity for 21 days. It doesn't matter what but commit to at least 10 minutes of activity every day of the challenge, and see what kinds of habits you create! The rules are:
    • Accept the challenge by R.S.V.Ping "Yes".
    • Post your activity for each day. Remember, everything counts.
    • If you miss a day, don't worry. Just pick up with the next day. Don't throw it all away just because of one slip!
So, there is a reason this is all fallen on my lap now - I NEED A KICK IN MY GELATINOUS BUTT! Seriously! Now I am accountable to a team! I cannot be a slacker. I have to make progress or I will let my team down.

Ok, I will keep y'all posted, sporadically as my doctoral exams are in 18-days! EEEEEK!!

M.

2 comments: